View Our Practice Areas

Criminal Defense Archives

What happens if I violate my probation?

When someone is convicted of a crime, it is common for a judge to grant them probation. When a defendant is granted probation, it means that the court will allow them to leave prison for the outside world as long as they follow a set of conditions. These conditions can range from mandatory drug testing, anger management classes, meeting with a probation officer or wearing an electronic location-monitoring device.

Do you know the 4 exceptions to the Miranda Rule?

Most people have never heard of the Supreme Court case Miranda v. Arizona, but almost everyone has heard the famous words that resulted from it. After the Supreme Court heard the case, it issued the ruling that any person who is detained for custodial interrogation must be read a set of rights. Can you guess what they are?

Could 2017 be a record low for crime?

The news seems to feature a new, horrifying incident of violence every day. Whether you get your news from the television, a newspaper or your Facebook feed, you may be under the impression that violent crime is increasing. As it turns out, this impression is very much incorrect.

The top 5 crimes that increase around the holiday season

If the constant barrage of Christmas music has not informed you, the holiday season is just around the corner. For most people, this time of year is associated with gift-giving, family and celebrations. Hardly anyone associates the season with crime. But a little-known fact is that crime rates tend to spike during Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year's Day. In this post, we'll go over five of the most common crimes that go up during the holidays.

When a night out turns into a fight, what should you do?

You’re out with your friends, having some drinks at a bar. It’s getting later and later, and you’re knocking back a few more beverages. So are the people around you, and the atmosphere is getting rowdy. One thing leads to another and before you know it, you are in an altercation with another patron. The situation escalates into physical blows—and that’s when you see the flashing lights of the police car.

What to know about plea bargains

Thousands of criminal cases go through the United States criminal justice system every year. If you are a defendant in one of these cases, you have a few options when it comes to entering your plea. You could plead not guilty, proceeding to trial and hoping to successfully defend your case. You could plead guilty, thereby avoiding a trial but possibly receiving a harsh sentence.

What is in the Massachusetts criminal justice reform bills?

Late last month, the Massachusetts senate passed a sweeping criminal justice reform bill. The House has now followed with its version. In order for criminal justice reform to become law, the two halves of the legislature will have to agree on a final version, pass it, and send it to Governor Baker for his signature.

DOJ announces voluntary limits on gag orders after email warrants

Last year, Microsoft sued the federal government over its practice of routinely issuing gag orders when it presented warrants for emails. According to an 18-month analysis by Microsoft, the Department of Justice issued indefinite gag orders under the Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 in 68 percent of cases where it served warrants on Microsoft for customer emails. These indefinite gag orders require Microsoft and other companies to remain silent about the warrant until further notice, or forever.

Is it fair to suspend your license for failure to pay a fine?

A new report by the nonprofit Legal Aid Justice Center asks whether state policies that suspend driver's licenses for inability to pay fines are a good idea. Are these "license-for-payment" policies fair, or are they counterproductive and costly?

You Have Questions? We Have Answers.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Anthony M. Salerno, P.C.
306 Main St.
Worcester, MA 01608

Phone: 508-795-1200
Fax: 508-795-1333

Connect With Us