Anthony M. Salerno

Attorney At Law

A Live Person Answering Your Calls 24/7
Instant Access: Save Our Number

Anthony M. Salerno

Attorney At Law

Getting a hardship license after a drunk driving conviction

On Behalf of | Mar 14, 2017 | Drunk Driving

Massachusetts has some of the harshest drunk driving penalties in the country, and these types of charges or a conviction can have a long-reaching impact on various aspects of your life. If you are currently dealing with the repercussions of a DUI or OUI conviction or loss of driving privileges, you may be eligible for a hardship license.

Hardship licenses are available to those convicted of DUI or OUI. This allows you to drive during certain hours for the duration of your license suspension, enabling you to take care of important matters such as work, school and even transporting your children.

How can I get a hardship license?

Individuals who wish to get a hardship license must apply with the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV). A hardship license is a privilege, not a right, and not everyone who wants one will be eligible. These licenses commonly go by the name of work licenses, Cinderella licenses and restricted licenses. The RMV only considers hardship licenses for the following:

  • First offense
  • Multiple offense OUI
  • Drug offense
  • Habitual traffic offender

In order to apply for one of these licenses, the applicant must attend a hearing at a select RMV Hearing Site. The applicant must also bring all required documentation and have paperwork complete. It can be complex to navigate the RMV process and actually obtain a hardship license, but a person with a suspended license would find great benefit in securing legal help before initiating this process.

Proving that you qualify for a hardship license

The RMV decides if you will be eligible for a hardship license. As part of the application process, you may need to provide some of the following in order to prove that you need to drive:

  • A letter from employer confirming work hours
  • Proof that public transportation does not provide needed routes
  • Documentation that you attend school or some type of educational program
  • Proof of self-employment

Even if you meet all of the requirements, the distribution and approval of hardship licenses is up to the discretion of the RMV. If you do receive a hardship license, any violation of stated terms and conditions will result in the immediate loss of the license.

If you need a license to drive after a DUI or OUI, you have options. An experienced drunk driving defense lawyer can help you secure documentation needed to validate your claim and prove guidance as you navigate the aftermath of a drunk driving charge.