A Worcester, Massachusetts, grand jury has issued a criminal indictment of a Bellingham resident after he was originally arrested in April on assault charges. The man spent an extended length of time since his arrest in the hospital. He is now facing a number of criminal charges, including eight counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, three counts of assault and battery on a police officer, four counts of malicious destruction of property worth more than $250, two counts of possession of a Class A substance, and one count each of disturbing the peace, being a disorderly person, and resisting arrest.

The incident started out as a seemingly typical arrest but somehow turned into a more difficult situation. According to the man’s brother, the police may have caused him to turn more violent due to their actions. Apparently, the police may have treated the situation poorly by using pepper spray, nightsticks, a stun gun, a police dog, and rubber bullets on the man while he was in custody. All these actions appeared to make the situation worse and turned what should have been a routine booking on criminal charges into a violent event.

The police account says that the man became violent but it fails to address allegations that the police may have exacerbated the entire incident. According to relatives of the man, the police behavior is what caused the man to become disorderly. What started out as one charge of assault ended up turning into many criminal charges.

The man was being treated in a Worcester hospital and later transferred to a hospital in Boston. He now faces a variety of criminal charges and a court date has not been set. The family of the man is likely interested in determining the root cause of the incident so they can best help him out and have vowed to continue fighting for his innocence in the face of what they deem to be improper and abusive police conduct. No report on whether the man has enlisted the services of a criminal defense attorney, which may help uncover what really happened during the man’s arrest and booking.

Source: Milford Daily News, “Charges in violent arrest bumped to Superior Court; police absolved of wrongdoing,” Alison McCall, May 25, 2012